Some good Reference Materials

Hey everyone,

I've been asked to provide a list of some good reference materials that have helped me develop as an artist over the years. I will also be doing a video on this, but I'm a bit swamped at the moment so that will have to wait.

Figure Drawing, For All It's Worth -Andrew Loomis
This is one of those fundamental 'must have' books. Reading this book (which I never keep out of arm's reach) has improved my ability to draw the human figure many times over.


Drawing the Head and Hands- Andrew Loomis
This has been an extremely helpful book, though not as much as Figure Drawing. Take that with a grain of salt, however, since Figure Drawing is sort of like my personal bible.

Digital Painting Techniques, Master's Collection: Vol.1
This book actually heralded my entrance into the world of freelancing.  I began reading this book as part of my Final  Master's Project for SCAD and it opened my eyes to new techniques and skills which has always eluded me. Most of the contributing artists are renowned in their fields and have a lot of knowledge to impart.


Digital Painting Techniques, Vol.2
This volume is similar to the first volume, though I find myself referencing it less and less. However, this is still a very informative read for any aspiring artists.


Animals, Real and Imagined- Terryl Whitlatch
I love Terryl Whitlatch. I've never met the woman, but her personality really shines through each and ever page. After reading her book, you will actually feel like she is someone you've sat down and chatted with. This book is amazing as it covers the anatomy of many different animals and teaches you how to create new creatures while adding in believable and realistic elements from the real world. Sadly, I don't do a lot of creature design, but when I do I always thumb through this book.


Color and Light, A Guide for the Realist Painter- James Gurney
This book is also a 'must have.' Almost everything I've ever learned about lighting came from this book and it has (clearly) had a huge effect on my painting ability. Gurney's book not only gives you a multitude of examples and instructions on creating well-lit paintings, but also goes into detail to scientifically explain why the lighting appears so. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

That's it for this list. I still have many, many more reference books in my library, so I will be adding to this list as time goes by. Thanks for reading!

-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment