Nanite Construction Complete

Welcome back.

Today I share the built (not yet painted) nanite model. It's been a long process getting to this point, I'm just happy my workshop is finally neat again (I hate clutter and dust).

As you can see, there have been some major additions in the form of two large intakes and their connective pipes. I also added some more detailing, see if you can't pick it out yourself.  :)

The intakes are made from two empty Rx pill bottles (I guess surgery is good for something, after all) with some plasticard, various wire bits, some plastic tubing, and two beer can tabs. I'm particularly happy with the outcome of the wires (seen along the flanks of the intakes) since they were an experiment using partially stripped electric wire. As a side note, I am really happy that I won't be needing a hole punch anytime soon.

Anterior 3/4 Lateral (left)


Anterior 3/4 Lateral (right)


Torso Detail


Jet Intake Detail


Posterior 3/4 Lateral (left)


Posterior 3/4 Lateral (right)


Pipe Detail


Leg Detail


Ventral Detail


Here are some shots of the  primed model. I am using basic grey primer found at my local Home Depot. I wanted to show the model before it was primed (spray coated) so that all the different materials could be observed, but now you can see the unified figure.

Anterior 3/4 Lateral (left)


Anterior 3/4 Lateral (right)


Posterior 3/4 Lateral (right)


Posterior 3/4 Lateral (left)


Pipe Detail


Intake Detail


I'm really happy with the way this model is coming along. The jets look especially awesome, they remind me of the Nostromo or similar model-based movie effects from the 90's. Right now the nanite has been airbrushed fairly uniformly (favoring the gribbly bits) with a mix of brass, purple, and black and the whole thing looks super Alien (Giger) aesthetic. Really, really cool. However, that will be saved for tomorrow (or another day soon).


The client ultimately wants the nanite's paint scheme to be sort of like the robots from I Robot, very sleek and possibly translucent. Since I can't do true translucency (unless I had cast the armor plates and then mused non-opaque plastic), I will try to simulate the effect to some degree using the airbrush and several layers of "frosted glass" spray enamel. Either way, it should be a fun trip.



C&C welcome.

Nick

P.S.
Suggestions on creating faux-translucency are welcome. I was considering doing something like the below images, but it may prove to be too time intensive. **Note the image below is not mine, credit belong to:The Yellow One**







2 comments:

  1. Looks great so far! Good job. Not to sure on the translucency, it will be difficult :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure about that part either... :(

      Delete