Gaining Momentum

Welcome back, everyone!

Today's post has some good updates on the Avatar vs. Keeper of Secrets piece (though there is still a lot of work to be done, for sure!). I'm feeling pretty worried about that 5/3 submission deadline... worse comes to worst it just won't make it in (bummer).

Anyway, below you can see the piece's new composition which I think is much better. There's no background at the moment and the central figures aren't done yet (the Avatar is still pretty rough, the KOS is a little better) but at least this is something to look forward to.

Also, I just noticed that her loin cloth is almost a perfect mirror opposite of her more rendered claw...weird.

The Avatar's pose is a little bit awkward, too.... I think the sword arm needs to be foreshortened back a bit and the open hand needs...something. Possibly foreshortening forward or just an entirely new pose. I also can't stand his legs from the knees down, but same goes for the KOS (her feet are super, super rough at the moment).

In other news, my subscriber list here and on YouTube has been constantly growing! It's really amazing to see how my blog stats have changed from a handful of views per day to over 1000. Thank you guys for being so amazing and please spread the word if you like what you see!

-Nick

P.S.

Thank you for all the help and critiques yesterday! They were very helpful.

8 comments:

  1. the hand
    i think it needs to be flipped. It looks like he is looking at it and yelling at it as opposed to him reaching out. It might just need some simple highlighting and shading to make it look like he is reaching out with it instead of just looking at it..while screaming/raging.

    oh Khaine...how you always look sooooo angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment! I'll be thinking of this while I try to figure it out.

      Delete
  2. The Avatars pose and face seem like he is screaming and is about to flee. which is wrong... I've had my Hive Tyrant ripped in half by one of these guys before.

    the avatar needs to be either turned farther away from the KOS or farther twoards as if he is bracing, otherwise you've got his awkward Egyptian composite pose-esque problem happening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I'll see what I can do about that. I totally agree that the pose is weird, though.

      Delete
  3. I do agree with Matt Luck about the egyptish looking pose. I guess that you want to give the characters maximum details to their body but I feel that it spoils a bit the fight.
    Instead of a empty hand, maybe the avater could struggle with a claw. The characters should then be closer, still keeping the Keeper in the air.
    I do really like the loin cloth being the opposite of one of the claw, as if all his matter was alive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you put that sword mid swing, and ajust the posture to imply some kinetic linking, and maybe have that sword of the lady taking the tips off of the pauldron and/or gauntlet/head dress it would bring them both together. you realy want to have them overlapping to imply action. I'm not super great with composition, but I do know combat, Action comes out when the depiction is just after contact ends, not so much before or while it is happening. Check out some MMA photo's to get a better idea of what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I've never thought about it that way.

      Delete