So I've been watching Battlestar Galactica recently and the nerd inside of me couldn't help but compare the Cylon armada vs. other SciFi universes...
I'm not that far into the series yet, but the main strengths of the Cylons I'm considering are:
1. Super hackers: The entire colonial system gets decimated because of one infiltrator programming backdoors into a networked defense grid.
2. Infiltration: Cylons can look like people, for all intents and purposes. They are also really hard to differentiate without laboratory tests.
3. Propensity for use of nuclear weapons: Cylons love nukes...they also don't value their individual lives and are happy to blow themselves up.
4. Space faring race: The Cylons are seemingly able to jump vast distances quickly using FTL drives.
5. Advanced weaponry/ high resilience: Cylons are pretty killy and fairly durable, though nothing compared to the Terminator or other more notorious bots.
1) Cylons < Imperium of Man (40k)
No networked computers (often wet wired systems), billions upon billions of souls spread out throughout the universe, and space marines seem like they would own Cylon warriors. The Imperium has many, many immense naval fleets who may not be as fast/reliable as the Cylons but are definitely more numerous and killy. Also, they have void shields.
2) Cylons < Imperium of Man (Dune)
3) Cylons > Weyland Yutani Corporation (ALIEN)
4) Cylons > Dudes in 'Firefly' (Firefly)
5) Cylons > 01 (AI race from 'The Matrix)
6) Cylons = Peacekeepers (Farscape)
7) Cylons ? The Citadel Council (Mass Effect)
8) Cylons < Empire/Jedi/Sith/whatever (Star Wars)
9) Cylons < The Federation (Star Trek)
I'm sure there are many scifi universes I left out, so if you are reading this and think, "hey what about ____?!," then feel free to leave a comment with your own analysis. Similarly, if you think my assessments are hogwash, ill-informed, idiotic, or otherwise wrong, I'd love to hear that too.