Just a little coloring/shading and some Rationale

Hey guys,

I'll probably only get a little bit of work done today since I'm heading to the doctor's in a minute, but I thought I met let you in on the current WIP and some of the rationale behind the stylistic choices.

I summed up my rationale pretty well in a comment reply, so I think I'll post/add to that here:

There were essentially three factors to my decision:

1. For my portfolio, I needed to demonstrate proper human anatomy, especially in female characters. Similarly, my female characters needed to be less rugged and more 'feline,' shall we say. I got a lot of critique on my piece Mass Effect 3 piece because many felt the femshep wasn't feminine enough.

2. I got some inspiration from the assassin 'Remiare,' a fairly villainous character from Graham McNeill's Mechanicum novel. She is always in constant motion, sort of undulating and slinking around. I also liked the idea of an assassin who has many aspects i.e. beautiful/alluring/attractive/macabre/grotesque/threatening/deadly

3. The death cult assassins are sort of oddly without real sexuality, as is a lot of the 40K universe. I think this is an active decision to keep the universe less threatening to parents (violence is more acceptable than sex) and to keep the brand open to a younger audience (teenage boys).

However, this always struck me as odd since even the most depraved villains in the galaxy (Dark Eldar and followers of Slaanesh) never really seem to get past 'heavy petting' (eg Fulgrim). The Dark Eldar get a little bit of a pass since they are more into torture and inflicting suffering, but Slaaneshi cultists really have little excuse since Slaanesh is heralded as the "Dark Prince, the Prince of Pleasure and even the Prince of Chaos in the Imperium of Man... the Chaos God of Pleasure, Passion, and Decadence. Lust, pride and self-indulgence are the hallmarks of all who follow him."

It's kind of nice to see such an overtly sexualized character (S&M gear, corset, stiletto heels, codpiece, etc) actually portrayed in a characterful/fitting way.

Right now the piece is in its least attractive phase or, as I like to call it, the 'Uggo' phase. This is the awkward period where I am figuring out the lighting and things look pretty muddy and ill-defined. Don't worry, though; if you have ever watched any of my videos you will know that this happens in every piece I do.



Q&C are welcome!

2 comments:

  1. the pose is unbalanced already to screen-left. having her pointing the longer sword twoard screen-left unbalances the composition further, I would put the longer sword in her other hand, which would make that pose a little more balanced

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Matt. It's funny you mention that because originally she was leaning even further left. I'll make sure to tilt her a bit when I get home and possibly shorten her blade or switch hands.

      Delete