Black Templar: Life in the Shade

Fhew- this was a tough haul.

After many, many hours of highlighting, shading, tinting, contrasting, editing, painting-over, re-highlighting, re-shading, etc.... we have the current state!

Definitely a lot of progress, though next time I need to plan out whether a piece is going to be a full illustration or just quick character... by failing to plan that portion out I've added hours upon hours of unnecessary time to this painting.

Anyway, this transition was pretty ugly and took a loooong time to do but it did add some nice details and gave me an opportunity to add a nice background (no, it's not done yet) and some fun lighting with atmospheric effects. I'm honestly not sure where the background is going at the moment... the whole empty expanse is just not working for me. Also, I definitely needed to add a shadow, so in the end it was a plus.

Anyway, I'll let you judge for yourself- let me know what you think!

-Nick


2 comments:

  1. I just found this post by going on deviantART. Way to go! I love your work, it reminds me of my dreams of me as a b.a. knight. I really enjoyed how you took themes of older art and made them your own beautiful piece of work. I am a photographer and I want to find some of the types of real lanterns you illustrated for my theme shots. Glamour shots reviews would love my photos if I could get my hands on them. It looks like I am going to have to venture out to thrift stores this week and find some. Thanks for the awesome inspiration. You have so much talent and potential for greatness. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. simply amazing. painting templars at the moment and your language, work, colours, simply fantastic. I am so inspired and feel like I have so many more ideas.

    It couldnt have come at a better time, having a few storm shields in the post today :)
    I can look at this for hours and be amazed.

    Thankyou so much

    Alexander

    ReplyDelete